Thursday, November 8, 2007

Grandma's England Journal - Day Three

4/2/92:
Up about 7 a.m. Bright but no sun as yet. The girls were having their breakfast so I made coffee and talked with them.

After the girls went to school, we prepared to make a trip to Ely and Ely Cathedral. First went to the base. Phyl and I had to have a visitor's pass issued for the day there near the gate on displaying our passports. Then on to another building where Doug was greeted with "What's up, Doc?" by one of the men on duty. After Phyl and I filled out some forms and again submitting our passports, we were issued a paper pass good for two weeks. Now we can go on base with the kids anytime by showing our paper passes at the gate. While we were getting the passes, Lynne exchanged my dollars into pounds. ($1.77/pd.) Mailed postcards home.

Doug parked the van in the bus parking lot (more room). We walked a little by-way and Lynne, Phyl and Doug stopped in a public rest room. I was looking at an almost continuous flower garden fronting several doorways right up to a low stone wall along the walk. As I was looking at the last section and trying to decide if the blooming bushes were a white starlatta magnolia a lady came to the open doorway and said good morning. I told her I had taken a picture of her garden and asked about the magnolia. She said "Yes, it is, won't you come and see my backyard garden" - I started toward a little path at the side but she said no, come in thru my house. Thru tiny rooms she led me into a courtyard with more magnolias, imapients, loads of primroses and a tubbed deep pink camelia. We discussed climates, flowers and gardening until I said I had left my family outside and had to leave. I told her my name and she told me she was Mrs. Grey. I thanked her for sharing her garden.

Outside, they were waiting for me, we waved goodbye to Mrs. Grey. Doug said he came out of the restroom just in time to see me disappearing into a house. They thought it very nice that she had been such a friendly lady.

On to the Cathedral. It's overpowering. You feel its age all around you as you enter thru a small door set into the huge front entry doors. The colors, number and variety of stained glass, the painted fresco-type vaulted ceiling, a crown like upper area (reminds me of widow's walk) was all stained glass figures, perhaps the twelve disciples.

I sat in the choir area of the front altar. Linen-fold carved oak walls with opposing sections of the choir having carved oak depictions of the Old Testament on one side and the New Testament opposite. Doug took my pictures there. Unable to locate Prost or find anyone or any literature to help, sorry Sam. Had lunch in snack shop adjoining gift shop, Phyllis' treat.

Left the cathedral and walked to High Street, rather like a street in Jamestown, downhill to the Ouse River and uphill all the way going back. Visited an antique shop Lynne knew about, three floors full of all kinds of interesting stuff. Hurried back to the van to pick up Christie and Joanne from school in Upwood, where the clinic where Doug works is also located.

Bought a carved crane and a teacup. Home about 3:30. Great day.

No comments: