Thursday, November 8, 2007

Grandma's England Journal - Day Fourteen

4/13/92:

Packing Day. Got a large box packed with excess clothes, and souvenirs I had accumulated. Went to the base, mailed the package home, got 2 sets of my pictures. Lynne and the girls treated for lunch at Burger King at the base. Phyl and Lynne went shopping and I took the girls to Baskin-Robbins where we bought cones and ordered an ice cream cake for Doug and Lynne's birthdays that we'd be just missing. As we left the base with our purchases, Phyl and I had to turn in our base passes, that makes departure seem imminent. After dinner Lynne drove to west Ramsey where a small estate auction was to be held that evening. She saw an oriental lacquered jewelry box she liked. I found a small oil canvas that I thought very interesting. After dinner, Phyl opted to read, Doug was sorting his three sets of photos and the girls playing. Lynne and I went to the "Fens Auction".

I took a snapshot from the back of the hall of this unique experience. The auctioneer was more like a judge, no lingo, just repeated the bid until it wasn't topped, said "sold, Name?". Besides the small painting, I also bit on and got a small pair of Chinese vases, and Lynne got her jewelry box, dark red lacquer with brass corners and ivory inlay on top, very pretty. Since we had successfully bid and got the things we wanted, we paid our bill and left. Home earlier than Doug expected. Talked, had birthday cake, made our goodbyes to the girls as we're to leave about 6a.m. Packed the last things, showered and to bed about 10 p.m.

No comments: